Part I Listening Comprehension (20 minutes)
Directions: In this section, you will hear 10 short conversations, At the end of each conversation，a question will be asked about what was said. Both the conversation and the question will be spoken only once. After each question there will be a pause. During the pause, you must read the four choices marked A), B), C) and D), and decide which is the best answer. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
Example: You will hear:
You will read: A) At the office. B) In the waiting room.
C) At the airport. D) In a restaurant.
From the conversation we know that the two were talking about some work they had to finish in the evening. This is most likely to have taken place at the office. Therefor, “At the office” is the best answer. You should choose [A]on the answer Sheet and mark it with a single line through the center.
Sample Answer ［ A ］［B］ ［C］ ［D］
1. A) They are twins. B) They are classmates.
C) They are friends. D) They are colleagues.
2. A) The man is planning a trip to Austin. B) The man has not been to Austin before.
C) The man doesn't like Austin. D) The man has been to Austin before.
3. A) The size of the room. B) Long working hours.
C) The hot weather. D) The fan in the room.
4. A) The man has changed his destination.
B) The man is returning his ticket.
C) The man is flying to New York tomorrow morning.
D) The man can't manage to go to New York as planned.
5. A) It is difficult to identify. B) It has been misplaced.
C) It is missing. D) It has been borrowed by someone.
6. A) Looking for a timetable. B) Buying some furniture.
C) Reserving a table. D) Window shopping.
7. A) Cold and windy. B) Snow will be replaced by strong winds.
C) It will get better. D) Rainy and cold.
8. A) It is no longer available.
B) It has been reprinted four times.
C) The store doesn't have it now, but will have it soon.
D) The information in the book is out of date.
9. A) Henry doesn't like the color. B) Someone else painted the house.
C) There was no ladder in the house. D) Henry painted the house himself.
10.A) In a cotton field. B) At a railway station.
C) On a farm. D) On a train.
Directions: In this section, you will hear 3 short passages. At the end of each passage, you will hear some questions. Both the passage and the questions will be spoken only once. After you hear question, you must choose the best answer from the four choices marked A), B), C) and D). Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
Passage One Questions 11 to 13 are based on the passage you have just heard.
11. A) They invited him to a party.
B) They asked him to make a speech.
C) They gave a special dinner for him.
D) They invited his wife to attend th e dinner.
12. A) He was embarrassed. B) He felt greatly encouraged.
C) He felt sad. D) He was deeply touched.