Part l Listening Comprehension (20 minutes)
1. A) The foggy weather has affected Mary’s mood.
B) They are puzzled about Mary’s tow spirits.
C) Mary is dissatisfied with her promotion.
D) Mary cares too much about her looks.
2. A) Go to an art exhibition.
B) Dine out with an old friend.
C) Attend the opening night of a play.
D) See his paintings on display.
3. A) Her mother was quite outstanding in academic work.
B) She was not particularly interested in going to school.
C) Her parents laid great emphasis on academic excellence.
D) She helped upgrade the educational level of immigrants.
4. A) The machines there were ill maintained.
B) Tickets for its members were cheaper.
C) It was filled with people all the time.
D) It had a reputation for good service.
5. A) Both Sarah and Tom have been awarded doctoral degrees.
B) Tom has arranged to meet his bride Sarah in Hawaii.
C) Tom was more excited than Sarah at the wedding.
D) A double blessing has descended upon Tom.
6. A) There were too many questions in the examination.
B) The examination was well beyond the course content.
C) The examination questions were somewhat too difficult.
D) The course prepared him adequately for the examination.
7. A) It’s less time-consuming.