Part I Listening Comprehension (20 minutes)
Directions: In this section, you will hear 10 short conversations. At the end of each conversation, a question will be asked about what was said. Both the conversation and the question will be spoken only once. After each question there will be a pause. During the pause, you must read the four choices marked [A], [B], [C] and [D], and decide which is the best answer. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
Example: You will hear:
You will read: [A] 2 hours. [B] 3 hours.
[C] 4 hours. [D] 5 hours.
From the conversation we know that the two are talking about some work they will start at 9 o’clock in the morning and have to finish at 2 in the afternoon. Therefore, [D] “5 hours” is the correct answer. You should choose [D] on the Answer Sheet and mark it with a single line through the centre.
Sample Answer [A] [B] [C] [D]
1. [A] All the passengers were killed. [B] The plane crashed in the night.
[C] No more survivors have been found. [D] It’s too late to search for survivors.
2. [A] Its results were just as expected. [B] It wasn’t very well designed.
[C] It fully reflected the students’ ability. [D] Its results fell short of her expectations.
3. [A] He believes dancing is enjoyable. [B] He definitely does not like dancing.
[C] He admires those who dance. [D] He won’t dance until he has done his work.
4. [A] His computer doesn’t work well. [B] He isn’t getting along with his staff.
[C] He didn’t register for a proper course. [D] He can’t apply the theory to his program.
5. [A] Reading on the campus lawn. [B] Depositing money in the bank.
[C] Applying for financial aid. [D] Reviewing a student’s application.
6. [A] A new shuttle bus. [B] A scheduled space flight.
[C] An airplane flight. [D] The first space flight.
7. [A] The deadline is drawing near. [B] She can’t meet the deadline.
[C] She turned in the proposals today. [D] They are two days ahead of time.
8. [A] By going on a diet. [B] By having fewer meals.
[C] By doing physical exercise. [D] By eating fruit and vegetables.
9. [A] He enjoyed it as a whole. [B] He didn’t think much of it.
[C] He didn’t like it at all. [D] He liked some parts of it.
10. [A] It looks quite new. [B] It needs to be repaired.
[C] It looks old, but it runs well. [D] Its engine needs to be painted.
Directions: In this section, you will hear 3 short passages. At the end of each passage, you will hear some questions. Both the passage and the questions will be spoken only once. After you hear a question, you must choose the best answer from the four choices marked [A], [B], [C] and [D]. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
Questions 11 to 13 are based on the passage you have just heard.
11. [A] Experience in negotiating. [B] A high level of intelligence.
[C] The time they spend on preparation. [D] The amount of pay they receive.