Part I Listening Comprehension (20 minutes)
Directions: In this section, you will hear 10 short conversations. At the end of each conversation, a question will be asked about what was said. Both the conversation and the question will be spoken only once. After each question there will be a pause. During the pause, you must read the four choices marked [A], [B], [C] and [D], and decide which is the best answer. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
Example: You will hear:
You will read: [A] 2 hours. [B] 3 hours.
[C] 4 hours. [D] 5 hours.
From the conversation we know that the two are talking about some work they will start at 9 o’clock in the morning and have to finish at 2 in the afternoon. Therefore[D] “5 hours” is the correct answer. You should choose [D] on the Answer Sheet and mark it with a single line through the centre.
Sample Answer [A] [B] [C] [D]
1. [A] It has nothing to do with the Internet. [B] She needs another week to get it ready.
[C] It contains some valuable ideas. [D] It’s far from being ready yet.
2. [A] The woman is strict with her employees. [B] The man always has excuses for being late.
[C] The woman is a kind-hearted boss. [D] The man’s alarm clock didn’t work that morning.
3. [A] The woman should try her luck in the bank nearby. [B] The bank around the corner is not open today.
[C] The woman should use dollars instead of pounds. [D] The bank near the railway station closes late.
4. [A] Make an appointment with Dr. Chen. [B] Wait for about three minutes.
[C] Call again some time later. [D] Try dialing the number again.
5. [A] He is sure they will succeed in the next test. [B] He did no better than the woman in the test.
[C] He believes she will pass the test this time. [D] He felt upset because of her failure.
6. [A] The woman has to attend a summer course to graduate.
[B] The man thinks the woman can earn the credits.
[C] The woman is begging the man to let her pass the exam.
[D] The woman is going to graduate from summer school.
7. [A] Fred is planning a trip to Canada. [B] Fred usually flies to Canada with Jane.
[C] Fred persuaded Jane to change her mind. [D] Fred likes the beautiful scenery along the way to Canada.
8. [A] Hang some pictures for decoration. [B] Find room for the paintings.
[C] Put more coats of paint on the wall. [D] Paint the walls to match the furniture.
9. [A] He’ll give a lecture on drawing. [B] He doesn’t mind if the woman goes to the lecture.
[C] He’d rather not go to the lecture. [D] He’s going to attend the lecture.
10. [A] Selecting the best candidate. [B] Choosing a campaign manager.
[C] Trying to persuade the women to vote for him. [D] Running for chairman of the student union.
Directions: In this section, you will hear 3 short passages. At the end of each passage, you will hear some questions. Both the passage and the questions will be spoken only once. After you hear a question, you must choose the best answer from the four choices marked [A], [B], [C] and [D]. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
Questions 11 to 14 are based on the passage you have just heard.
11. [A] To study the problems of local industries.
[B] To find ways to treat human wastes.
[C] To investigate the annual catch of fish in the Biramichi River.
[D] To conduct a study on fishing in the Biramichi River.
12. [A] Lack of oxygen. [B] Overgrowth of water plants.
[C] Low water level. [D] Serious pollution upstream.
13. [A] They’ll be closed down. [B] They’re going to dismiss some of their employees.
[C] They’ll be moved to other places. [D] They have no money to build chemical treatment plants.
14. [A] There were fewer fish in the river.
[B] Over-fishing was prohibited.
[C] The local Chamber of Commerce tried to preserve fishes.
[D] The local fishing cooperative decided to reduce its catch.