1. This rock has to be _______ in order to build a road.
A. blasted B. explored C. hired D. maintained
2. He did not go to the party last night, which _______ her feelings deeply.
A. wounded B. injured C. hurt D. injury
3. When they returned to the river, they found that the boat had _______ away.
A. framed B. frosted C. frowned D. floated
4. If you need further information, please _______ our office.
A. constant B. construct C. contact D. contain
5. During the war, many soldiers were killed not by _______, but by disease.
A. bullets B. devil C. bible D. depth
6. We watched the ship until it became only a _______ in the distance.
A. point B. jar C. stove D. dot
7. The English proverb ‘_______ the rod and spoil the child’ means that if you deep from punishing the child, you will spoil its character.
A. rule B. rug C. clap D. spare
8. The _______ was only sentenced to pay a fine of $10,000.
A. worm B. trial C. tube D. criminal
9. Higher education in China is free but the _______ for entrance is strong.
A. comparison B. consequence C. competition D. crawl
10.The light is too _______ for me to read. I can not stand any more.
A. rid B. ripe C. soup D. dim
11.The water _______ from the tap and damaged all the books in my study.
A. sprayed B. puzzled C. inclined D. exported
12. In the United States, congress makes the laws and the President _______ them.
A. orders B. conquers C. executes D. hedges
13. She is too _______ to answer questions in the class.
A. eagle B. cough C. eager D. couch
14. We enjoy seeing the glorious _______ of the rising sun.
A. beams B. beans C. beef D. bead
15.In the _______ English reading course, the students have to read a lot.