(This is a true story)
On a January morning Joel with the other fishermen got on a fishing boat. The first few hours on the sea were not ___1____. Then there was a terrible storm. The storm lasted for 22 days. When it stopped, they found their fishing nets were ___2____. The engine and the radio didn’t work. There was no food, and there was no drinking water.
The men talked to each other, “How can we live on the sea?” Without their nets, the men couldn’t fish. But they could ___3____ out of the boat and catch big turtles(海龟). They needed protection(遮挡) from the sun and rain, so they built a simple roof. The roof ____4___ rainwater, too. The men could drink rainwater ___5____ the roof.
For the next five ___6____ the men ate turtles－when they caught them. They drank rainwater－when it rained. ___7____ there was no food and no water, and sometimes they thought they were going to die soon.
Joel wrote a letter to his wife, “My dear Edith, ” Joel wrote, “____8___ I die, I hope someone will send you this letter. Then you will know ___9____ I died. I had the best in life－a great woman and beautiful children. I love you really.”
Ten days ___10____, on June 15, a Japanese boat found them.
___11____ sent Joel’s letter to his wife. He showed it to her himself. Joel will always keep the letter. The letter, he says, ___12____ him remember. “On the sea I found that I love my wife and children very, very much. My family is everything to me. I don’t want to forget that.”
1. A. unusual B. unlucky C. quiet D. safe
2. A. broken B. missed C. gone D. left
3. A. leave B. work C. come D. reach
4. A. saved B. held C. got D. carried
5. A. in B. from C. under D. below
6. A. hours B. days C. weeks D. months
7. A. Often B. Only C. Once D. Suddenly
8. A. While B. Before C. If D. Since
9. A. why B. how C. where D. when
10. A. later B. ago C. before D. past
11. A. Somebody B. Anybody C. Everyday D. Nobody
12. A. lets B. has C. helps D. hopes