16. I met _______ eleven-year-old boy at the gate. He was Tom's brother.
A. a B. an C. the D. /
17. -How did the thief come the _______ house'?
-_______ the window, I think.
A. through; From B. into; Through C. to; By D. into; Out of
18. Mrs. Li is nice. Every day she tried to cook _______ for me during my stay in Suzhou.
A. something different B. anything different
C. different something D. different anything
19. _______, Susan found a weak cat lying on the ground yesterday.
A. On her way home B. On her way to home
C. In her way home D. In her way to home
20. - Is the room only for Amy?
- No. it's_______.
A. Amy's and her sister's B. Amy and her sister's
C. Amy and her sister D. Amy's and her sister
21 . -The newspaper says that an old man always sleeps his _______ eyes_______
- That's really interesting.
A. with; closed B. with; open C. with; opened D. has; open
22. - Our class won the school basketball match.
-_______ exciting news!
A. What B. How a C. What an D. How
23. . Why are you carrying an umbrella? It's not going to rain.
- To_______ myself from the sun.
A. protect B. save C. stop D. prepare
24. Listen! I can hear Simon _______ in the next room.
A. sings B. singing C. to sing D. to singing
25. We stopped _______, but_______ nothing.
A. to listen; heard B. listening; listened
C. listening; heard D. to listen; listen