A. Water B. To water
C. Watering D. Watered
2. The purpose of the scheme is not to help the employers but ______ work for young people.
A. provide B. to provide
C. providing D. provided
3. He arrived at the office early, ______ a good example to the others.
A. set B. to set
C. to be set D. having set
4. Please make my excuse at tomorrow’s meeting — I’ve got too much work ______.
A. to do to come B. doing coming
C. to do coming D. to do coming
5. We looked everywhere for the keys, but they are nowhere ______.
A. to find B. to have found
C. to be found D. being found
6. After describing the planned improvements, she went on ______ how much they would cost.
A. to explain B. explaining
C. to be explaining D. having explained
7. To test eggs, ______ them in a bowl of water: if they float they’re bad, if they sink they’re good.
A. put B. putting
C. to put D. to be putting
8. Please remember ______ the plants while I’m away.
A. watering B. to be watering
C. to water D. being watering
9. ______ wine, first you must press the grapes.
A. Making B. To make
C. To be making D. Make
10. I’ve never been so poor ______ able to afford a meal.
A. as to be not B. not as to be
C. as not to be D. as to not be
11. I don’t know whether to stay in teaching or ______ another job.
A. trying getting B. to try to get
C. trying to get D. try get
12. I’ll have to change my clothes before I go out — I don’t want ______ like this.
A. to see B. to be seeing
C. to be seen D. being seen
13. In fact, she was the first woman ______to such a post.
A. to elect B. to be electing
C. to have elected D. to have been elected
14. I’d like ______ over the Alps and looking down at the mountains.
A. flying B. being flying
C. to be flying D. be flying
15. I’m learning ______ a cake. Can you explain ______ one?
A. to make, to make B. how to make, to make
C. to learn, how to make D. making, making
16. Whom would you rather _____ with you, Jim or Jack?
A. have go B. have to go
C. have gone D. has to go
17. The husband advised ______ to the south, but his wife advised him _____ up the idea.
A. moving, giving B. to move, to give
C. moving, to give D. to move, giving
18. “Would you like to come for a walk with me?” “I’d prefer _____, thank you.”
A. not to B. to not
C. not D. can’t
19. I would mend your radio, but I don’t know ______.
A. how B. to
C. how to D. to how
20. “I haven’t heard from Henry for a long time.” “What do you suppose ______ to him?”
A. was happening B. to happen
C. has happened D. had happened
21. When I handed the report to John, he said that George was the person _____.
A. to send B. for sending it
C. to send it to D. for sending it to
22. “Do you know the girl in red?” “She seems _____ me at last month’s party. But I’m not sure.
A. to introduce to B. to be introduced to
C. being introduced to D. to have been introduced to
23. We all agreed ______ for another day, but Jim disagreed ______.
A. to wait, to do so B. to wait, 不填
C. waiting, doing so D. waiting, 不填
24. He made up his mind to devote his life _____ pollution _____ happily.
A. to prevent, to live B. to prevent, from living
C. to preventing, to live D. to preventing, from living
25. I wish I’d been there — I would like _____ her face when his husband came in.
A. to see B. to have seen
C. seeing D. having seen