according to the song by paul simon, there are 50 ways to leave your lover. having achieved that, helpful scientists say, there are six ways to find another one.
they suggest that, for a first date to be a success, you should forget the old-fashioned romantic dinner and head instead for the funfair.
the excitement of going on a roller coaster - or watching a thriller movie - will apparently boost each other's sex appeal.
so will playing rock music, sharing a joke and even going for a jog together.
the six rules are set out in new scientist magazine, based on research from a variety of sources.
here they are:
1. choose a dramatic setting for your first date, such as a roller coaster, or go to see a nerve-jangling movie such as fatal attraction.
2. mirror the other person's gestures, for example by taking a sip of your drink at the same time. research shows that copying the other person helps create a feeling of affinity .
3. share a joke or engineer a comic situation, such as learning new dance steps while one of you is blindfolded. scientists found an experience that makes you laugh creates a feeling of closeness.
4. get the soundtrack right. it has long been said that music is the food of love and many people will turn to romantic tunes such as those by marvin gaye or barry white to create the right mood. rock music has also been proved to work.
5. take exercise together, possibly by playing sport or jogging. this boosts dopamine levels in the brain.
6. gaze into the other person's eyes. it might be a cliche, but it works.