[LANGUAGE NOTE: Many language groups such as SPANISH, ITALIAN, PORTUGUESE (European) , and RUSSIAN roll or trill the R-sounds with the front of the tongue. Others, such as FRENCH, HEBREW, GERMAN, and PORTUGUESE (Brazil) produce a throaty R-Shading, or, in the case of JAPANESE, CHINESE and other East Asian speakers, move it toward the sound of the L. American-style R-Shadings (as well as initial R-Sounds) must be practiced by speaker from all first language groups.
Follow the instructions on the tape for creating the American-style R-Shading when the letter 'R" comes after a vowel, Then repeat the following words and sentences which are recorded on the tape.
Now here are many additional words and sentences containing R-shaded vowels. The following drills are not included in the taped instruction.
- The burglar and his helper stirred up such a clamor.
- My mother, my father, my sister and brother thank you.
- The runner staggered over the hill.
- Either was a good talker, but she never wrote letters.
- This summer went faster and further than last.
- Herman was the first to win thirty games.
- The German hurdler was the scourge of the early games.
- Carl and Marni formed an artful partnership.
- Park the car in Harvard Yard.
- The two sergeants are college archery partners.
- Are all the place guards qualified marksmen?
- Arthur charged out of the arbor unharmed.
- Fourteen bored sportsmen adorned the shore.
- Forty gory creatures poured through the French doors.
- The spores were found in the core of the ornament.
- The Concord poured forth exhaust causing sore throats.
- More and more support came forth for the orphans' party.
- An air of excitement rarely blares down the stairs.
- Where did the polar bear go?
- Pay your fare, then tell the driver where to go.
- The flu scare was hard to bear.
- Where can I get my hair cut very carefully?
- Never fear, the wheel to steer is near the gear shift.
- The earring fell clear of the nearby pool.
- Be sincere my dear; it's a queer world.
- I'm sincere about wanting the deer to appear this year.
- A key of beer appeared near the rear window.
- You're sure you can endure the long tour?
- Poor hunters offer no allure to sure
- Insurance is a poor risk on guided tours.
- The cure for polio makes Salk's name endure.
- I'm secure that Mr. Moore will endure.