Exercise 1-3; Noun and Pronoun Intonation
In the first column, stress the nouns. In the second column, stress the verb. Fill in your own examples
at the bottom.
1. Bob sees Betty. 1. He sees her.
2. Betty knows Bob. 2. She knows him.
3. Ann and Ed call the kids. 3. They call them.
4. Jan sells some apples. 4. She sells some.
5. Jean sells cars. 5. She sells them.
6. Bill and I fix the bikes. 6. We fix them.
7. Carl hears Bob and me. 7. He hears us.
8. Dogs eat bones. 8. They eat them.
9. The girls have a choice. 9. They have one.
10. The kids like the candy. 10. They like it.
11. The boys need some help. 11. They need something.
12. Ellen should call her sister. 12. She should call someone.
13. The murderer killed the plumber. 13. He killed a man.
14. The tourists went shopping. 14. They bought stuff.