1. Now I'm headed back to Washington to hand the President my resignation.
2. Where the DOD will label you as a rogue extremist and hang the Kremlin bombing on you and your team.
3. Stay down! Drive! Drive! Drive!
4. We're shut down.
5. IMF now believes this man; Kurt Hendricks is the nuclear extremist, code name Cobalt.
6. Nothing can be left to chance.
7. No one can know we're still on line.
8. Waste not, want not.
9. I accepted the Rankow Prison mission on one condition
10. I pulled your file after India.
1. I'm not picking up that phone, Ethan, because I don't think you want me in the field. I know your wife is dead. I was there in Croatia. I was there for one reason. One. And I failed. It was my job to protect her.
2. As long as we were together, she could never be safe. It wasn't your job to protect her, Brandt. It's mine.
3. And the only thing that functioned properly on that mission was this team. I don’t know how we ended up together, but I'm glad we did.
4. So, I hear the insurance company's refusing to pay the claim on that car you crashed, Ethan. Something about intentional 100-meter vertical drops not being covered. Go figure.
Ethan: Mr. Secretary. I wasn't aware you were in Russia.
Secretary: I'm not. Not since a bomb blew up the Kremlin. Yesterday I flew in to accept the Order of Friendship from the Russian Prime Minister. Now I'm headed back to Washington to hand the President my resignation. My chief Analyst, William Brandt.
Ethan: Do you have a pen?
William: Pardon me?
Ethan: A pen.
Secretary: Ethan, what happened in the Kremlin?
Ethan: Chief Analyst, you say?
Secretary: If you're implying that I made a bad call...
Ethan: European male. Fifties. About six-foot, 180 pounds. Blue eyes. Who is he?
William: A crude drawing, but by your description, that could be Kurt Hendricks. 190 IQ. Served in Swedish Special Forces. Professor of physics, Stockholm University. Specialist in nuclear endgame theory. Asked to resign...Well, because he's crazy.
Ethan: Cobalt. You have to alert the Kremlin that one of their strategists has a nuclear launch device and one of his operatives has the codes to activate it.
William: And what makes you say that?
Ethan: I saw him leaving the executive armory, bag in hand. He set off that explosion to cover his tracks. It could be weeks before the Russians know it's missing. Unless we tell him.
Secretary: They won't listen to us. As far as the Russians are concerned, we just bombed the Kremlin. The tension between the United States and Russia hasn't been this rough since the Cuban Missile Crisis. And the blame, right or wrong, points to IMF. The president has initiated Ghost Protocol. The entire IMF has been disavowed.
Ethan: So what happens now?
Secretary: Now, I've been ordered to take you back to Washington, where the DOD will label you as a rogue extremist and hang the Kremlin bombing on you and your team. Unless, you were to escape somewhere between here and the airport, having assaulted Mr. Brandt and me.
Secretary: You would then illegally scrounge whatever material you could from a backup supply cache that I've overlooked. The same cache where your team are waiting for further orders.
William: Sir, you may want to...
Secretary: You will then disappear, and this conversation never having taken place. And your intentions would be unclear. But if any one of your team is caught or killed, they will be branded terrorists out to incite global nuclear war. Your mission, should you choose to accept it. Ethan, you were my best man. And I'm sorry it's come to this, after all the sacrifices you made. If we don't meet again, I just want you to know; I've always considered you a friend.
Ethan: Stay down! Drive! Drive! Drive!