177. Let's take cars for example. They not only pollute the air in cities, but make them crowded. Furthermore, they are responsible for a lot of traffic accidents. The noise made by cars disturbs the residents living on both sides of streets all day and night.
178. It is generally believed that the chief reason for the increase in population in developed countries is not so much the rise in birth rates as the decline in death rates as a result of the improvement in medical care.
179. There is no doubt that the increase in demand caused the rise in prices.
180. Additional social stresses may also occur because of the population explosion or problems arising from mass migration movements-themselves made relatively easy nowadays by modern means of transport.
181. With the opening and reform policy being carried out, thousands upon thousands of foreign visitors are crowding into our country. They are eager to see this old mysterious land with a splendid culture of more than 5,000years.
182. Tourism brings China a lot of benefits. First, it enables the Chinese people to know more about the outside world and promotes friendship and understanding. Second, it is financially beneficial to China, which needs more foreign currencies for its modernization program.
183 Tourism, however, gives rise to a number of problems. For instance, it becomes a burden to inefficient transportation system.
184. Besides, the living standard of the average Chinese is still not high enough to be able to afford the many different sorts of expensed during long distance travels.
185. As for me, with the development of our national economy, all these problems will certainly be solved step by step.
186. A much better and brighter future awaits us.
187. When an opportunity comes, it brings a promise but never realizes it on its own.
188. If you want to achieve something or intend to fulfill one of your ambitions, you must work hard, make efforts and get prepared. Otherwise, you will take no advantage of opportunities when they come to visit you.
假如你要取得成就或要实现你的雄心壮志，你必须努力工作、艰苦奋斗、准备好条件。否则，机遇来临你却无法利用。 189. The difference between a man who succeeds and one who does not lies only in the way each treats opportunities. The successful person always makes adequate preparations to meet opportunities as they duly arrive. The unsuccessful person, on the other hand, works little and just waits to see pass by.
190. In my opinion, there are plenty of opportunities for everyone in our society, but only those who are prepared adequately and qualified highly can make use of them to achieve purpose.
191. Anthropologists have discovered that fear, happiness, sadness, and surprise are universally reflected in facial expressions.
192. The greater the population there is in a locality, the greater the need there is for water, transportation, and disposal of refuse.
193. Long before children are able to speak or understand a language, they communicate through facial expressions and by making noises.
194. Children with parents whose guidance is firm, consistent, and rational are inclined to possess high levels of self-confidence.
195. Television, the most pervasive and persuasive of modern technologies, marked by rapid change and growth, is moving into a new era, an era of extraordinary sophistication and versatility, which promises to reshape our lives and our world.
196. Television is more than just an electronic appliance; it is a means of expression, as well as a vehicle for communication, and as such becomes a powerful tool for reaching other human beings.
197. I am always amazed when I heard people saying that sport creates goodwill between the nations, and that if only the common peoples of the world could meet one another at football or cricket, they would have no inclination to meet on the battlefield.
198. One of the great early writers wrote that: Work is the grand cure of all the maladies and miseries that ever beset mankind. If this is true, then the present situation should make us wonder whether the measure that the average worker is obliged to retire at the age of 50 is reasonable.
199. "The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for circumstances they want, and if they cannot find them, make them." Such is the remark made by Bernard Shaw, a great writer. This view has been shared now by more and more people.
200. Adler is correct in this assertion that education does not end with graduation.