1. Our terms of payment are by a confirmed irrevocable letter of credit by draft at sight.
2. Since the total amount is so big and the world monetary market is rather unstable at the moment, we can not ac cept any terms of payment other than a Letter of Credit.
3. We would suggest that for this particular order you let us have a D/D, on receipt of which we shall ship the goods on the first available steamer.
4. In order to conclude the business, I hope you'll meet me half way. What about 50% by L/C and the balance by D/P?
5. For such a large amount, a L/C is costly. Besides, it ties up my money. All this adds to my cost.
6. I'd like to discuss the terms of payment with you. I won der if you would accept D/P.
7. Since we are old friends, I suppose D/P or D/A should be adopted this time as the mode of payment.
8. As we must adhere to our customary practice, we hope that you will not think us unaccommodating.
9. We regret we cannot accept Cash Against Documents On Arrival Of Goods At Destination.
10. We wish to reiterate that it is only in view of our long and friendly business relations that we extend you this accommodation.
11. We have instructed our bank to open an irrevocable documentary letter of credit in your favor. The amount is $ 1,300.00.
12. We'd like you to accept D/P for this transaction and future ones.
13. Your proposal for payment by time draft for Order No.1 is accept- able to us.
14. We shall draw on you at 60 days sight the goods have been shipped. Please honor our draft when it falls due.
15. The bank has just advised us that our Draft No.2 was de clined (rejected, refused).
16. Under the installment plan, 20% of the contract value is to be paid with orders.
17. Please indicate that the L/C is nego tiable in our country.
18. We shall open an irrevocable letter of credit in your favor, pay able in Hong Kong against shipping documents.
19. Your request for D/P payment has been considered and we agree to grant you this facility.
20. The time draft is to be countersigned by the Bank of Hong Kong, certifying that your signature is true and valid.
ConversationsDialogue 1W: Well, we've settled the question of price, quality and quantity. Now what about the terms of payment?
B: We only accept payment by irrevocable letter of credit payable against shipping documents.
W: I see. Could you make an exception and accept D/A or D/P?
B: I'm afraid not. We insist on a letter of credit.
W: To tell you the truth, a letter of credit would increase the cost of my import. When I open a letter of credit with a bank, I have to pay a deposit. That'll tie up my money and increase my cost.
B: Consult your bank and see if they will reduce the required deposit to a minimum.
-- 好吧，既然价格、质量和数量问题都已谈妥，现在来谈谈付款方式 怎么样?
W: Still, there will be bank charges in connection with the credit. It would help me greatly if you would accept D/A or D/P. You can draw on me just as if there were a letter of credit. It makes no great difference to you, but it does to me.
B: Well, Mrs. Wang, you must be aware that an irrevocable letter of cred it gives the exporter the additional protection of the bank er's guarantee. We always require L/C for our exports. And the other way round, we pay by L/C for our imports.
W: To meet you half way, what do you say if 50% by L/C and the balance by D/P?
B: I'm very sorry, Mrs. Wang. But I'm afraid I can't promise you even that. As I've said, we require payment by L/C.
-- 即便那样，开立信用证还是要支付银行手续费。假如你能接受承兑 交单或付款交单，这就帮我大忙了。你就当作是信用证一样向我开 汇票。这对你来说区别不大，但是对我来说就大不一样了。
-- 王小姐，你应该也知道，不可撤消的信用证给出口商增加了银行的 担保。我们出口一向要求采用信用证;反过来讲，我们进口也是信 用证付款。
-- 我们都各让一步吧，货价的百分之五十用信用证，其余的采用付款 交单，你看怎么样?
-- 对不起，王小姐。即便那样，我恐怕也不能答应。我都说过了，我 们要求用信用证付款。
Dialogue 2A: Well, Mr. Brown, we've settled everything in connection with this transaction except the question of payment in yen. Now can you explain to me how to make payment in yen?
B: Many of our business friends in England, France, Switzerland, Italy and Germany are paying for our exports in Japan currency. It is quite easy to do so.
A: I know some of them are doing that. But this is new to me. I've never made payment in yen before. It is convenient to make pay- ment in pound sterling, but I may have some difficulty in making payment in yen.
B: Many banks in Europe now carry accounts in yen. They are in a position to open letters of credit and effect payment in yen. Con- sult your banks and you'll see that they are ready to offer you this service.
A: Do you mean to say that I can open a letter of credit in yen with a bank in London or Bonn?
B: Sure you can. Several of the banks in London, such as the National Westminster Bank and Barclays Bank are in a position to open letters of credit in yen. They'll do so against our sales confirmation or contract.
A: I see.
-- 布朗先生，除了日元付款问题外，我们已经谈妥了有关这笔交易 的所有事项。现在，能不能请你解释一下如何用日元付款?
-- 我们在英国、法国、瑞士、意大利及德国的许多商界朋友都用日元 支付我们的出口货物。这很容易做到。
-- 现在欧洲许多银行都可以开立日元账户。他们可以开立信用证并且 用日元支付。你去银行咨询就可知道，他们会替你办理这项业务的。
-- 当然可以。在伦敦有好几家银行，如国家威斯敏斯特银行和巴克 莱银行等都可以凭我们的销售确认书或合同开立日元信用证。
Dialogue 3W：To get around your difficulty, Mr. Brown, I'd sug gest that you reduce your order by half. You can send in an ad di tion al order later.
B: Well, I'll consider the possibility. By the way, when do I open the L/C if I want the goods to be delivered in June?
W: A month before the time you want the goods to be delivered.
B: Could you possibly effect shipment more promptly?
W: Getting the goods ready, making out the documents and booking the shipping space -- all this takes time, you know. You cannot expect us to make delivery in less than a month.
B: Very well, Mrs.Wang. I'll not reduce my order. I'll take the full quan ti ty you offer. And I'll arrange for the Letter of Credit to be opened in your favor as soon as I get home.
W: When will that be?
B: Early next week. In the meantime, I should be very pleased if you would get everything ready. I hope that the goods can bedispatched promptly after you get my Letter of Credit.
W: You can rest assured of that. We'll book you order and inquire for the shipping space now, so that shipment can be effected within two or three weeks of receipt of your L/C.
B: That'll be fine. I appreciate your cooperation.
-- 布朗先生，我建议你把订单数量削减一半以摆脱你的困难。你可 以以后再下追加订单。
-- 喔，我考虑一下这种可能性。顺便问一下，如果我想要你们六月份 交货的话，我需要在什么时候开立信用证呢?
-- 你瞧，备货、制单证、订舱位--所有这些都要花时间。你总不 能要求我们在不到一个月的时间内交货吧。
-- 下周初。与此同时，如果你们能将所有的事情准备好，我会非常 满意。我希望你们收到我的信用证后能马上发货。
-- 这点我们可以保证。我们这就下单生产、订舱位，这样在收到你方 信用证的两、三星期内就能安排装运。
W: Very good. Well, thanks to your cooperation, our discussion has been very pleasant and fruitful. I sincerely hope that the volume of trade between us will be even greater in the future.
B: By the way, Mrs. Wang, we have a mind to do joint participa- tion with you on Japanese arts and crafts in our market. Would you entertain this proposal?
W: Well, this is something new. A few of our friends from Europe have also suggested that we participate in joint enterprise with them dealing in some of our goods. We think there are a lot of details to go into.
B: If you feel our proposal is attractive, it is estimated that business to the extent of over twenty million marks can be done in this manner.
W: Naturally, I appreciate your efforts in pushing the sale ofJapanese arts and crafts. But I'm not in a position to discuss your proposal today. I must first talk to our director, and discuss it with you some other time.
B: All right. Anyway, I'll be staying here for another two weeks. But I'm looking forward to having something done in this respect.
W: We'll talk about it next time. Now that everything is settled, let's have a cup of tea, and take our minds off business for a change.
-- 太好了。由于你们的合作，我们之间的谈判很愉快而且富有成果。 我真诚地希望今后我们之间的贸易额会进一步扩大。
-- 王小姐，顺便提一句，我们有意与你方合作，在我国市场上合资 经营日本工艺品。你们愿意接受这个提议吗?
-- 这是一个新做法。有些欧洲朋友也建议我们与他们一起合资经营我 们的一些产品。不过，这个需要进行详细地讨论。
-- 如果你们觉得我方提议值得考虑采纳，估计以这种方式，贸易额 可以达到二千万马克以上。
-- 当然，我们很感激贵方为推销日本工艺品所作的努力，但是我今 天无法与你方讨论这一问题。我得先和我们主管商量一下，然后和 您找个时间再谈。
-- 好吧，反正我还会再呆两个星期。不过我期望在这方面能够取得进 展。
-- 我们下次再谈吧。既然所有的问题都解决了，我们喝杯茶，抛开业 务问题休息一下吧。
Words and Expressions irrevocable
tie up 占压资金
be in a position to 能够
sales confirmation 销售确认书
1. joint enterprise 合营企业
2. payment by irrevocable letter of credit payable against shipping documents
3. D/P = Documents against Payment
4. D/A = Documents against Acceptance
5. in connection with
6. draw on sb.
7. you must be aware that… 你一定知道
8. and the other way round 反过来讲
9. 50% by L/C and the balance by D/P
10. against our sales confirmation 凭我们的销售确认书
11. to be opened in your favor 以你方为受益人的
12. you can rest assured of that 这个你可以放心
13. thanks to 由于，因为
14. now that everything is settled…… 既然事情都解决了……
A Specimen LetterDear sirs：
We have received your letter of December 20th and noted with interest your intention of pushing the sale of our automobiles in your country.
Although we are much appreciative of your efforts to help sell our automobiles, we regret being unable to consider your request for payment by D/A 60 days?sight. Our usual practice is to ask for sight L/C.
However, in order to facilitate developing the sale of automobiles in your market, we are prepared to accept payment by D/P at sight as a special accommodation.
We hope that the above payment terms will be acceptable to you and look forward to the pleasure of hearing from you soon.
经理释文支付条款Substitution Drills1 A: What are your terms of payment?
How are we going to arrange payment?
What is the mode of payment?
B: We want payment to be made by confirmed, irrevocable L/C.
You'll need to open a confirmed and irrevocable letter of credit.
We'd like you to pay us by confirmed and irrevocable letter of credit.
2 A:The point is that to open a L/C does mean additional expense.
The trouble is that opening a L/C will add to the cost of our imports.
The problem is that payment by L/C will cause us some difficulty in getting the license.
B: I'm sorry that can't be helped.
3 A:When shall we open the letter of credit?
do we have to establish the letter of credit?
shall we arrange for a credit line under the contract terms?
B: Thirty days before the month of shipment.
The credit line should be opened one month before the time of shipment.
The buyer shall open the credit line 30 days before the date of shipment.
4 A: How long should our L/C be valid?
When should we set the expiry date?
What should be the validity of the L/C?
B: The L/C should be valid for 15 days after the date of shipment.
The expiry date of the L/C is to be 15 days after the date of shipment.
The L/C must remain valid until the fifteenth day after shipment.
5 A:Payment by L/C is quite usual in international trade.
our usual practice.
customary in foreign trade.
B: I know. L/C is all right, but could youconsider 60 days?sight draft?
be more flexible for future dealings?
make your payment terms easier for us just for this small order?
6 It is $30. Mr. Green, please pay the cashier.
comes toamounts toadds up to总共30美元，格林先生，请付款给出纳员。
7 Here is your change of 5 Yuan. Please double check it.
See if it's all right.
I hope I haven't made a mistake.
Please keep it carefully.