1. _____ these advantages we do not think there is any difficulty in pushing sale.
A. With B. Together with
C. Without D. As
2. The goods are urgently needed. We ______ hope you will deliver them immediately.
A. in the case B. hence
C. therefore D. for
3. The market report indicates there is ______ market in South America for about 40 tons a year.
A. big B. no
C. a D. the
4. Thanks to the ______ work of our sales department, your last consignment has been all sold out.
A. acceptable B. reasonable
C. outstanding D. tolerable
5. ______ our general agent, you would also have to look after the advertising.
A. To be B. As
C. Being D. For
6. The brochure covers a wide range of products we ______.
A. deal with B. deal in
C. hand in D. hand over
7. The goods have been dispatched and the shipping documents ______ consignment are with us.
A. for B. of
C. with D. to
8. If you are interested, we will send you a sample lot ______ charge.
A. within B. for
C. with D. free of
9. The exhibition has ______ to offer that you will find interesting.
A. many B. much
C. many a D. more
10. Our market survey informs us that you are achieving great success ______ our chemical products.
A. on B. to
C. at D. with
11. We are glad to receive your order of yesterday, ______ regret that we can not supply ______ the end of May.
A. but, by B. and, by
C. but, for D. and, for
12. Mr Brown decided that our estimate was ______ and asked us to begin work as from 1 January.
A. delinquent B. managerial
C. unfortunate D. acceptable
13. We confirm that we agree ______ your suggestions made in our last letter.
A. to B. on
C. with D. that
14. Whenever the price, time of shipment, payment terms, etc. are agreed ______, a transaction is concluded.
A. with B. on
C. to D. that
15. The charges will be ______ by Asian Co. and us.
A. heavy B. borne
C. small D. settled
二、Translate the following letter into Chinese. (15%)
In regard to the first shipment against our Contract No. 1234, we wrote you on 7th this month, informing you that part of the goods was not in conformity with the contracted specifications. We requested you to give us explanations and advise us how you would deal with the matter, but up to now we have not yet received any reply.
So we regret to say that we can’t bind ourselves to accept the second lot of goods. We have to request that you should postpone the shipment of the goods for the time being. It goes without saying that we have no obligations whatever in this matter.
We are looking forward to your reply.
三、Fill in the blanks with suitable prepositions. (10%)
We thank you for your letter of 20 May, 1999 and can confirm that we are still offering our range 1 luxury foods 2 the prices quoted 3 our initial offer to you.
We understand your concern 4 packing, and can assure you that we take every possible precaution to ensure that our products reach our customers all over the world 5 prime condition.
For your information, “Ariel” caviar is packed as follows:
Each jar is wrapped in tissue paper 6 being placed in its individual decorative cardboard box. The boxes are then packed 7 strong cardboard cartons, twelve 8 a carton, separated 9 each other 10 corrugated paper dividers.
The cartons are then packed 11 strong wooden crates. Since the crates are specially made to hold twenty-four cartons, these is no danger 12 movement 13 them. In addition, the crates are lined 14 waterproof, airtight material. The lids are secured 15 nailing, and the crates are strapped 16 metal bands.
In the case 17 consignments being sent to you, transshipment at Buenos Aires will be necessary, so each case will be marked 18 details required by the Argentinian authorities, as well as 19 your own mark, details 20 weight, etc., and symbols representing the following warnings and directions:
USE NO HOOKS! STOW AWAY FROM HEAT! THIS SIDE UP, and DO NOT DROP.
We hope this has answered your questions, and look forward to receiving orders from you.
四、Translate the following sentences into English. (20%)
五、Letter Writing (20%)
Messrs. Westcott & Co. complain that 500 tins of condensed milk ordered by them arrived dented and punctured; they attribute the damage to defective packing and emphasize the need for greater care. Write a letter of about 100 words on behalf of Westcott & Co. to the above effect.
You are the manager of an inquiry company. A new employee, John Anderson, is joining your company on 12, August.
*Write a short memo to your office administrator.
*Saying who is starting work and when.
*Telling him what John Anderson’s job will be.
*Suggesting where John Anderson’s desk should be put.
*Write 30---40 words.
七、Answer the following questions.(10%)
1. What do the shipping documents mainly include in a broad sense?
2.When should the seller send an advise to the buyer to make the amendment of L/C?