Read this text about a British business.
Choose the best word to fill each gap.
For each question (21-35) mark one letter (A ,B ,C or D) on your Answer Sheet.
One answer has been given as an example.
Jack Cohen and his wife Tessa began their small grocery business on London's High Street in the early 1950s. Since that...example...the company , TESCO , has grown to become .the UK's leading food retailer with annual sales of 6.4pounds billion and has ...21...a new reputation for quality and service. Its 384 stores in England, Scotland and Wales...22...more than nine million customers per week.
In the 34 year old Colin Smith we can see TESCO's ...23...on value plus quality and service. Upon...24...TESCO's management team in 1987 as trading director for fresh meats ,he immediately focused ...25...improving supply and distribution systems. He set up a supplier certification program with strict specifications for processing facilities and livestock quality, plus...26...quality checks at each TESCO distribution center and store.
One of Smith's priorities has been an...27...lamb program. TESCO could not obtain enough fresh lamb to...28...deman4 and was ...29...to fill in with frozen product. Smith turned to Cryovac specialists who...30...with TESCO and its meat suppliers to ...31...the Problem.
the ...32...was a new packaging system from Cryovac featuring a harder Cryovac Barrier Bag which dramatically...33...package damages. Vacuum packaged fresh lamb now arrives at TESCO stores in the best condition year-round and sales have...34...to more than than 60 million pounds ...35...
A. period B. time C. year . D. day
21. A. had B. done C. made D. established
22. A. sell B. serve C. meet D. hold
23. A. emphasis B. idea C. name D. import3nce
24. A. becoming B. being C. entering D. joining
25. A. on B. in C. at D. with
26. A. nearby B. far C. further D. farther
27. A. old B. improved C. impossible D able
28. A. ask B. answer C. satisfy D. question
29. A. tried B. forced C. led D. set
30. A. cooperate B. link C. study D. sit
31. A. attack B. answer C. ask D. demand
32. A. next B. first C. result D. beginning
33. A. prevented B. stopped C. reduced D. increased
34. A. enriched B. reached C. arrived D. grown
35. A. daily B. annually C. usually D. particularly
Read this letter to the editor of a magazine.
In most of the lines (36-40) there is one extra word which does not fit in. One or two lines, however, are correct.
If the line is correct ,put a tick (√) in the space on your .4nswer Sheet.
If there is an extra word in the line ,write that word in the space on your Answer Sheet.
New Mexico's mineral industries make up for about one third of...for
the state's 1.9 billion general-fund income in fiscal year 1991...√ . .
LETTER TO the EDITOR
Sir-you say that New Mexico has "few natural resources".
36. However ,the mineral industry in New Mexico is one of the
37. state's most strongest economic forces. In 1991 New Mexico
38. ranked fourth one in the United States in production of natural gas.
39. Ten combined value of those oil and gas production was S 2. 8 billion dollars.
40. New Mexico came through the recent recession in much better shape than most other states.
Questions 41 —45
the following is an English translation of the description of a Japanese product.
In each line there is one wrong word.
For each numbered line (41-45) write the correct word in the space on your Answer Sheet.
In despite of the price we'll import this product.... . .spite...
the Sharp FO-9000 works in three steps. First ,you tell the machine
41. the size of the photo to be sent out ,and the FO-9000 scans it onto their
42. hard disk. then, the fax sends the data though the phone lines
43. to the fax in other office, Finally ,the second fax recreates the image.
44. the machine measures 16 inches height by 18 wide by 17 deep
45. and weights88 pounds. the price is high: $ 63,990 a pair,since what use is only one?
21. D 22. B 23.A 24. D 25. A 26.C 27.B 28. C 29.B
30. A 31. A 32.C 33. C 34. D 35.B
39. dollars 是多余,应删掉.
45. weights 应改为weighs