1. ---Wow, isn’t this handsome device the most popular iPad 2? Can I have a look at it?
A. No, you can’t. B. Yes, go ahead.
C. Sorry, it is expensive. D. Of course, it looks good.
2. --- My friend Eric has successfully swum across the English Channel!
--- Unbelievable! Can you tell me when he __________ it?
A. made B. has made C. had made D. is making
3. After the biggest earthquake took place in Japan, the international rescuers devoted all their energies to searching for survivors but ___________ they found only several bodies.
A. immediately B. especially C. curiously D. unfortunately
4. It is always ______________ when you misunderstand the customs of other countries.
A. embarrassing B. specific C. typical D. unique
5. What the little boy got from his father was __________magazine.
A. a large interesting French Ban interesting French large
C. a French large interesting Dan interesting large French
6. __________ about his financial situation, I would have helped him out.
A. Did I know B. H ad I been knowing C. Had I known D. Have I known
7. ___________personal experience, you may have to put in extra hours if you want to do well in the coming test.
A. Of B. At C. From D. In
8. Celia, who is on __________ holiday with her husband, wants to stay in a quiet place, taste delicious food and play _______ tennis.
A. a, a B. /, / C. the, the D. /, the
9. Mary _________ gardening as a regular form of relaxation after she got married.
A. took up B. caught on C. brought about D. made for
10. The professor recommended the young couple _________ their em otions.
A. do not hide B. not hide C. mustn’t hide D. couldn’t hide
11. ____________ program has been developed up to this date, but none of them are economical enough to be carried out now.
A. All B. Several C. Either D. Many a
12. __________ only a few politicians took part in the opening ceremony of an international conference will be a great issue for newspapers tomorrow.
A. That B. What C. Where D. When
13. _________ the fact that the old cars could not go as fast as modern ones, people still watched the race with a great deal of pleasure and excitement.
A. Thanks to B. Despite C. As far as D. Although
14. The engineer has spent one year working in the United States and discovered how things ___________ overseas.
A. manage B. promote C. operate D. transform
15. This old dictionary has been of great _____________ in helping me to learn the English language.
A. usefulness B. value C. price D. cost
16. Much to her delight, three ______________ neighbo rs showed up and several of them even brought with them some candies and cookies.
A. dozen B. dozen of C. dozens D. dozens of
17. _____________ the ability to speak, so he had to communicate with his friends and family by using sign language.
A. As he lost B. He lost C. Having lost D. His being lost
18. With so many life’s challenges __________, the injured soldier was lucky to have a trained dog around to provide support.
A. overcame B. overcoming C. to overcome D. being overcome
19. A recent research indicates that __________ when they are greatly encouraged by their parents, will the kids improve their ability of dealing with problems.
A.only B. just C. Still D. yet
20. Dry stone walls, when properly __________, will last several lifetimes.
A. is built B. building C. to build D. built
My teacher Miss Benson was the kindest creature on the earth. I was going to marry her when I grew up—__21__ she would wait. I couldn’t bear to miss one precious moment of her presence by 22 the classroom. I always raised my hands when she called for volunteers to gather 23 and bring them to her desk. That was the best chore of all. It made 24 getting near enough to her. I would arrange and rearrange the papers until they were in perfect order.
I started pestering my mother to put extra fruit 25 my lunch. I was never brave enough to hand it to Miss Benson directly, though. Each day the delicacy was put unobserved on her desk. And the 26 was always the same. She would come in and sit down. “How nice!” She would pick the fruit up, then 27 the room. “What thoughtful little child brought me this?” No one claimed the honor, least of all me. “ 28 it be that I have a secret admirer?” she would ask. I would feel the red rising in my face, and I would sigh with 29 when Miss Benson put the fruit away and started the lesson.
One morning, the class was excited. The next day was Miss Benson’s birthday. My heart beat fast---I could give her something 30 . That afternoon was spent combing for wild flowers. I found several kinds.
The next morning I hung back as others presented their gifts. 31 I went to the desk and gave the flowers to Miss Benson. She was pleased, and held it to 32 cheek for a moment.
The next Monday, Miss Benson was not in class. Then I was 33 to go to the principal’s office. When I arrived, I saw my mother. On a table were my flowers.
“Do you know 34 Miss Benson is today?” the principal asked. “ 35 , sir,” I answered.
“Miss Benson,” he said. “is in the hospital, and you sent her there!” I sat, 36 , in my chair.
“Do you know what you gave her?” he continued. I 37 , “some flowers.”
“They were poisonous!” He was angry. “How did you protect 38 when you picked them?”
“I didn’t know they were poisonous.” I cried.
I begged my mother to take me to the hospital. Miss Benson was in bed when we arrived. “I didn’t 39 to make you sick…” I said. Miss Benson smiled, “You wanted to give me something special, didn’t you?” I was filled with happiness. She was not mad at me.“And I’ll tell you a secret,” she continued. “When I am married, if I have a 40 , I would like him to grow up just like you.”
21. A. if B. when C. since D. before
22. A. entering B. cleaning C. leaving D. arranging
23. A. classmates B. papers C. blackboards D. seats
24. A. possible B. important C. necessary D. difficult
25.A. as B. to C. of D. in
26. A. question B. response C. courage D. reason
27.A. look at B. look for C. look around D. look into
28. A. Must B. Should C. Can D. Need
29. A. relief B. regret C. refusal D. regard
30. A. secretly B. immediately C. openly D. luckily
31. A. First B. Finally C. Moreover D. Meanwhile
32. A. my B. our C. its D. her
33. A. asked B. pulled C. begged D. forbidden
34. A. when B. what C. where D. why
35. A. Of course B. No C. Sorry D. Thank you
36. A. stricken B. thrilled C. disappointed D. delighted
37. A. lied B. shouted C. nodded D. ignored
38. A. your mother B. Miss Benson C. the leaves D. yourself
39. A. adapt B. stick C. mean D. bear
40. A. son B. husband C. father D. teacher