A pet sitter is a contracted service provider who takes care of a pet at its own home. The term comes from baby-sitter.
The professional pet-sitting industry is growing rapidly because many pet owners feel that there are advantages to using pet sitters, rather than traditional pet care options.
Reasons people use pet sitters include:
1. Possible reduced stress on pets because pets are cared for in their own homes
2. No "travel trauma" to pets because they do not need to be transported anywhere
3. Exposure to illnesses and parasites of other animals is minimized
4. Required vaccinations are often less restrictive than those necessary at a kennel
5. Pets stay on their regular routines and do not need to adapt to a new environment
Pet sitters usually have training, such as pet first aid certification, animal husbandry classes, or pet sitting accreditation. A number of professional organizations exist to help pet sitters improve their services.