What were you doing when I rang you?
(1) She was always working.
(2) I got to know him when I was working in a pharmacy.
(3) The kettle was boiling, the telephone was ringing and someone was knocking at the door.
(4) I was always missing trains.
(5)They were expecting to finish the work last week, but unexpectedly the machines went out of order.
语法分析：某些词或词组如come, go, plan, expect以及look forward to 等的过去进行时，有时是表示本来打算做而实际没有做成的事情。
(6) By the time he was ten he was already doing experiment in chemistry.
(7) I was wondering whether you could give me some advice.
(1) Soon all the people of the city _____[talk] of the wonderful cloth.
(2) She _____[come] to see me, but unfortunately she was ill.
(3) He was busy yesterday. He _____[prepare] for the exams.
(4) She lost her purse when she _____[sroll] across a meadow.
(5) I asked her to tell me what _____[trouble] her.a
(6) I _____[hope] you could reconsider our proposal.
(1) were talking (2) was coming (3) was preparing (4) was strolling (5) was troubling (6) was hoping