She stood there for three hours.
动作可以延续，能与一段时间连用的动词叫作延续性动词，如本句中的stand。较常见的延续性动词有carry, exist, work, write，stay和talk等。如果动作是在瞬间完成，不能与一段时间连用的动词叫作非延续性动词。较常见的非延续性动词有leave, stop, put, bring, catch, open, close, fall, kill和lose等。但有些动词既可以作延续性动词又可以作非延续性动词，其意义略有不同。
(1) We'll remember her name till we die.
(2) I didn't sleep until 10 o'clock in the evening.
(3) I waited for him until sunset.
(4) She didn't finish the article until midnight.
(5) It began to rain at four last night.
(6) I was in classroom at five yesterday afternoon.
(7) It is three years since she died.
(8) The girl sent her mother one present after another for nearly three years.
1. All the other students were playing while he _____ reading a book.
[A] continued [B] remained [C] still [D] go on
2. His parents wished him to be a doctor. But in the end he _____ lawyer.
[A] became [B] got [C] changed [D] turned
3. You may _____ cheated, robbed and murdered in London.
[A] become [B] burn [C] got [D] make
4. Her mother died and _____ her a lot of money.
[A] gave [B] left [C] get [D] make
5. Cheap coal _____ a lot of smoke.
[A] gives up [B] gives in [C] gives away [D] gives off
6. I asked her to _____ me a few minutes so that we should go over all the problems.
[A] spend [B] save [C] spare [D] share
1.[A] 2.[D] 3.[C] 4.[B] 5.[D] 6.[C]