今日美文朗读:热爱生活

2018-01-17 08:33:05  每日学英语
Love Your Life

However mean your life is, meet it and live it;

无论你的生活如何卑微,都要正视它,并活下去;

do not shun it and call it hard names.

不要躲避它,也不要恶语相加。

It is not so bad as you are.

你的生活不像你本人那么糟糕。

It looks poorest when you are richest.

你最富有的时候,你的生活看上去倒似最贫穷。

The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise.

吹毛求疵的人即便在天堂也能挑出瑕疵。

Love your life, poor as it is.

你要热爱你的生活,尽管生活一贫如洗。

You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours,even in a poorhouse.

即使身处济贫院,你也可能享受一段愉快、兴奋、美妙的时光。

The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man's abode;

西斜的落日映照在济贫院窗户上的余晖,与照射在富贵人家豪宅上的一样光芒万丈;

the snow melts before its door as early in the spring.

门前的积雪同在早春消融。

I do not see but a quiet mind may live as contentedly there,and have as cheering thoughts, as in a palace.

在我看来,一个心态平和的人处事泰然,思想乐观,过着自得其乐的生活,住在济贫院就如同居住在皇宫里一般。

The town's poor seem to me often to live the most independent lives of any.

依我之见,城镇的贫民倒是往往过着最独立不羁的生活。

Maybe they are simply great enough to receive without misgiving.

也许他们十分伟大,对任何事情皆可坦然受之。

Most think that they are above being supported by the town;

大多数人认为他们不屑于接受城镇的施救;

but it often happens that they are not above supporting themselves by dishonest means, which should be more disreputable.

但是实际上他们经常使用不诚实的手段来维持自己的生计,这是更为不体面的。

Cultivate poverty like a garden herb, like sage.

像圣贤一样,如同栽培花园中的花草一般来培养贫困吧。

Do not trouble yourself much to get new things,whether clothes or friends.

犯不着千辛万苦以求获得新东西,无论是衣服还是朋友。

Turn the old; return to them.

返璞,归真。

Things do not change; we change.

万物没有变,是我们在变。

Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts.

衣履可鬻,所思必存。

英语学习笔记:

1 .However mean your life is, meet it and live it; do not shun it and call it hard names.

英语点睛:这实际上是几个短句,后面的句子都省略了however mean your life is.

2 .The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man's abode.

英语点睛:由as…as引导的句子,非常精炼。

学习更多:

1 .However hard this task is we must finish it.

(表示决心)不论这个工作有多难,我们必须完成。

2 .You are as good as you think you are.

(表示程度)你像你自己认为的一样好。

本周热门