5. What I’m getting at is... 我的意思是…… 
◆ 疯狂实战 
A: What I’m getting at is, I think we should break up. 
B: Good, I think so too. Thank you for not beating around the bush! 
A: 我的意思是说,我想我们应该分手了。 
B: 很好,我也这么认为。感谢你的直爽! 
A: What I’m getting at is, you are fired. 
B: What? Just like that? After all my hard work and devotion to this damn place? 
A: 我是说,你被解雇了。 
B: 什么?我辛辛苦苦工作,为这见鬼的公司做出那么大贡献,你就这样对我? 
◆ 额外成就感 
“get”是个简单却非常神奇的动词,它跟某些介词一组合,就能表达成千上万种意思,光是以上的“get at”就有六七种意思,现在我们来将它们一网打尽。 
1. 拿到,打开,到达 
* Put the medicine somewhere where the children can’t get at it. 
(把药放到孩子们拿不到的地方。) 
2. 弄清楚,理解 
* It’s no easy thing to get at the meaning of every idiom in English. 
(要搞懂英语中每个成语的意思并不是件容易的事情。) 
* What I’m trying to get at is whether you want to marry Susan for her father’s money or because you love her. 
(我想知道的是,你跟苏姗结婚是为了她父亲的钱,还是因为你真的爱她。) 
3. 有某种含意, 
* What exactly are you getting at, David? 
(大卫,你到底是什么意思?) 
*I don’t see what you’re getting at? 
(我不明白你是什么意思?) 
* If I correctly understood what she was getting at, it seems to be a good idea. 
(如果我没有弄错它的意思的话,那是个好主意。) 
4. 找错,责备 
* She’s always getting at her husband for not helping with the housework. 
(她老是埋怨她丈夫不帮忙做家务。) 
* I can’t think why Erika’s always getting at me. 
(我不明白为什么艾里卡总是找我的茬。) 
5. 开始干某工作 
* I hope I have time to get at my homework tonight. 
(我希望今晚有时间做功课。) 
6. 打...的主意;贿赂 
* Someone appears to have been trying to get at the jury. 
(好像有人在打陪审团的主意。)