068. ... only to find... 
……却发现…… 
[句型解析] 
这也是个结果句型,表示意外的结局。“only”在这里起了强调的作用。有时我们也说“...to find”。 
[实例] 
1. I ran to the station only to find that the train had left. 
我跑到火车站,却发现火车已经开走了。 
2. She came home excitedly only to find nobody was in. 
她兴冲冲地回到家里,却发现一个人也没有。 
3. I search desperately for my purse, only to find all my money was gone. 
我尽力找到了钱包,却发现钱都不见了。 
4. I arrived at the restaurant, only to find I had no money on me. 
我赶到餐馆,却发现没带钱。 
[实战练习] 
A: Why are you so late? 
你怎么这么晚? 
B: I'm sorry but I missed the bus. 
对不起,我错过公共汽车了。 
A: How could you miss the bus? 
你怎么能错过公共汽车呢? 
B: I hurried to get to the bus stop only to find I didn't have enough change to pay the fare. 
我赶到公共汽车站却发现没带够付车费的零钱。 
A: I'm sorry to hear that. 
很遗憾。 
B: I had to go back home and get some change and wait for the next bus. 
我只好回家拿钱再等下一班车。